Wheels to Work

Can I apply?

Step One
Basic requirements

You need to be able to answer yes to the statements below:

  • I live in Derbyshire (there are some exceptions if you live in Derby City)
  • If I live in Nottinghamshire I have contacted RCAN — 01623 727600 to see if they are able to offer me support.
  • I have a firm offer of a job, training course or college place, and am able to produce written proof; OR
  • I am already in work, training or college, but am struggling to get there; OR
  • I am hoping to access social inclusion activities to improve my wellbeing
  • I have checked, and there is no easy public transport for my journey
  • I am at least 16 years old
  • If under 18, I have my parents’ or guardians’ consent to join the scheme
  For a reconditioned bicycles only:
  • I understand that I will be allocated a time to collect a reconditioned bicycle
  For moped loan only:
  • I have, or have applied for, a provisional driving licence
  • I am willing to undertake the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) and additional training - the CBT+ Certificate
  • I am able pay the upfront payment and regular loan payments required for the duration of the loan
  • I am able to pay the required insurance excess in the event of a an accident, damage or theft
  • I will comply with the terms and conditions of the loan and understand that the loan is for 6 months only

Check current public transport

You can use the Traveline East Midlands website to see if there is any suitable public transport available to get you to your place of work or training. If there is reasonable transport available, you won’t be eligible for a Wheels to Work Moped.

Step Two
Check your address

Quickly check your postcode

Please also check that your Postcode is a Derbyshire postcode. 

You can use this website to check. Just put in your postcode, tick the box that says “Local Authority” and on the next page it will tell you what your local council is.  You live in Derbyshire if your local council is Amber Valley, Bolsover, Erewash, Chesterfield, North East Derbyshire, High Peak, Derbyshire Dales, Derby City or South Derbyshire. If you live in Nottinghamshire we can provide you with a reconditioned bicycle. If you live in Nottinghamshire and would like a moped, please contact Rural Community Action Nottinghamshire in the first instance http://www.ruralcommunityactionnottinghamshire.co.uk/  


Step Three
Start the application process

You can either contact us by e-mail or gives us a call 01629 592 976 and we“ll send you out the full application pack.

What next...

Please return the application pack with proof of employment/training or education and a copy of your drivers licence (moped applicants only)

If you have applied for the Moped Loan scheme, we will need to arrange a time to meet with you to discuss the contract. If you have applied for the bicycle scheme, we will be in touch to let you know what the next steps are.